Friday 10 July 2009

Savory Sales





I’m back from my holiday in the USA (New York, DC and Maryland) fully refreshed and ready for those slings, arrows and compliments you may, or may not, wish to throw in my direction.

We have taken note of various comments from people about packaging of 'His Britannic Majesty’s Army in the Seven Years War' (special new boxes have been ordered for future postings) and in the meantime copies will be dispatched in double-protection Jiffy bags. We also have some spare dust-jackets so please email me if yours was torn or damaged.

Savory sales started well and to those that have purchased already – a big ‘thank you’. That said, initial interest in the venture suggested a high level of probable sales, which, alas, is still some way off.

If you are one of those people who emailed me expressing an interest in the book and have not yet committed to purchasing, would you please be good enough to drop me an email? The sole purpose of this enterprise was, from my point of view, to make an important and invaluable reference source more widely available; it was never an exercise in making profit and we are some way off covering our costs.

I admit to a modest pride regarding this re-printing of Savory – a view echoed by several purchasers already. Said one recipient: "....the book arrived, although it was not quite what I was expecting. It’s better! When I read that it was a facsimile of the original work, I expected a softback with scanned material from an original copy. My delight, however, at finding myself in possession of a ‘proper’ book just cannot be described."

So, if you have definitely made your mind up to acquire a copy, please do it now; if you’re still undecided, this is a limited print run so time is of the essence, and if you simply cannot make up your mind, remember that it may be many years before this definitive reference book – if ever – sees the light of day again.

To purchase, go to www.18thcenturypress.com or click on the link on the right hand side of this blog. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. I'm certainly extremely happy with my copy, Nigel, and hope that at some point in the near future you can reach a point where you can recover and exceed your initial investment.

    Based on past experience, I've made copies of the maps so that I do not have to keep folding and unfolding the ones in the book until they reach the point where they fall apart!

    And it is a great book indeed- it makes me want to go back to Germany and look over the battlefields (those which are still left, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nigel, lilke Robert I am very happy with my copy and needed no encouragement to buy it. I suspect some people may have had second thoughts once they saw the price tag - perhaps a bit of saving needs to be done before they commit?

    Anyway, thank you so much for this venture.

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nigel,

    I can only add that I, too, am delighted with my copy. It is a "proper" book and not a cheap "copy" at any level. I so hope that sales pick up and you can go on to add more titles: you are of to a first rate start.

    Theo

    ReplyDelete