Tuesday, 15 September 2026

28mm Napoleonic French/Italian: Battaglione Granetieri Reali



 

In my French 1809 Napoleonic Army I have already done 12 battalions (in 3 brigades, 2 divisions) and was contemplating how to round them off with another brigade. I wanted plastics, if only because they were cheaper (and I find plastic assembly strangely therapeutic), so Poles, Swiss and Italians came to mind. As you can see from the title of this, the Italians won out. So I will do 4 Italian Line battalions plus one or two guard battalions. If I do another Guard battalion it will be Battaglione Cacciatori Reali, which was the sister battalion of chasseurs with mostly the same uniform except for a brass plate on the bearskin, pointed cuffs and red/green plumes.

This battalion came out of a box of FN250. I have assembled so many figures over the years that I have assorted trays of 'bits' which I hoard – bearskins, shakos with plumes, arms with epaulettes etc. That makes it easy to create specialized battalions.

I think they look rather smart.



No comments:

Post a Comment