Saturday 13 March 2010

Limousin





I’ve painted this two battalion regiment, numbered 25, commanded by Monsieur le marquis de Miran, which was raised in 1635 and whose flag remained unchanged until the end of the Ancien Regime.

All the figures are Crusader except for two in the first battalion – the officer waving his hat and the chap falling wounded, who are from Front Rank. The officer in the 2nd battalion is a Crusader figure but I plan to substitute many of these for aesthetic reasons of variety with those from Front Rank or Foundry. I think these Crusader figures are excellent although I wish Mark, when he’d sculpted them, had shown a bit more of the waistcoat which was, more often than not, coloured like the cuffs. Still I plan twenty four battalions using these figures and four with the turnbacks showing, which I’ll use for the German regiments.

As for the Armypainter, I’ve been much more sparing this time and hope the results have a campaign feel but not too much of one, if you see what I mean from the results.

The flags are not Grahame Black’s, which are the best available, and in the fullness of time, I will replace these temporary ones with his. I’m also unsure as to whether I like the Front Rank finials with scarves that he has made for use with the French. I have used them, see the Royal Pologne regiment picture which I’m posting again, but I think they are a bit fussy having both scarves and tassels. My understanding is that the French only used scarves and I’m looking for a manufacturer who makes them or to find a friendly sculptor who might design them. Your thoughts please.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NB: Just to say I have finished my ACW armies now so I'm hoping to put on a game in April or May. Anybody interested in attending, please drop me a line.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely work, as always. I'd love to attend your game . . . but since I'm at least nine time zones away I'll have to miss it.

    Keep posting the lovely painting, sir.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete