Thursday 18 September 2008

92nd Irish regiment Bulkeley




Last week I suddenly got bored of painting 'allies' in my Pragmatic army and I painted this Irish battalion. The figures are from the new Foundry SYW French range and they are a great disappointment. Firstly, the figures all lean to one side and while basing need wedging under a corner to straighten them up. Secondly, every one of them has a scowl on their faces the challenge of which to paint is tiresome.
Nonetheless, I have the raw metal for 4 Irish battalions and it was nice to dig out my much 'under-used' green paint. I plan to make most of the French foot battalions weaker than the 'allied' ones at 16 figures (using a 1:33 scale).

As I have now finished half of the Pragmatic army's infantry (16 battalions) I plan a rest until the end of this year and will restart in January. The only thing that might get in the way of this plan is the imminent arrival of Eureka's WAS Dutch. I have other projects to do, namely a new wargames table, plus some more ACW and some Greeks for the Macedonian wars. I'll keep posting though.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice!
    Have you seen CRUSADER english ?
    They should be better than FOUNDRY's.

    Pleased to know that you are planning to paint some greeks. I have a 25mm athenian army. So maybe we could plan an ancient game one day. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would ever have thought that Foundry would have "gone off the boil"?
    Perhaps the Perry's might pick up where they left off?
    Lovely paint job however-looking forward to more ACW.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy looking at your painted minis, and have had your blog bookmarked for some time now.

    I think you have really managed to work wonders here, and have created a silk purse out of what are IMHO pretty much the pig's ear of SYW miniatures- very well done indeed.

    I heard the sculptor announced he was "tired" of the range by the time he finished the French, which could account for all the scowls!

    I'm looking forward to potential "Rank & File" packs for the French from Crusader as well.

    ReplyDelete